Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Fat Pants Skinny Pants

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has "fat pants." Those you have on hand for when you discover you've gained a few pounds and your "normal" pants are suddenly fitting a little too snug-ly. Fat pants are usually very comfy--loose fitting, non-constricting. Of course, as welcoming as they are comfort-wise, symbolically, they are often thought of with disdain. "Ugh, I have to wear my fat pants today--how depressing!"

Yesterday I had one of those glass half-empty-now-half-full moments. My former fat pants became my new "skinny pants." In the not too distant past I had gained enough weight that even my fat pants no longer fit. But recently my change in eating lifestyle has resulted in a tipping of the scales in the other direction--what a nice change! Last night I fit, once again, into those comfy, well-worn, jeans that used to be my "fat pants." Ta-da! Now they are a symbol of progress, and a concrete form of inspiration to encourage me in my continued endeavors. My new "Skinny Pants!"

Sure, one could choose to look at them with similar disdain as before....did you forget those used to be your fat pants? How can they be skinny pants??? That makes no sense at all....

Sense or nonsense, we often have a choice in how we see reality and attribute meaning to things--and today I am choosing to celebrate my new skinny pants, and look towards more to appear in my not-too-distant future!

4 comments:

Terri said...

You Go Girl! I too have recently discovered the joy of glass-half-full perspective. And boy is it so much nicer! It's so funny how I look at situations now so much differently than I have in the past. It's a whole new perspective and it feels great!

You deserve to be proud of your accomplishment! What difference does it make where you were before? What matters now is where you are going. And with that positive attitude, you'll be sailing right through those skinny pants and before you know it, they'll be your these-are-so-loose-i'm-selling-them-on-craigslist pants!

CV said...

Hey Kristy! I am long overdue to leave a comment on your blog - you have a great, personable writing style.

I think every woman has a pair of designated "fat pants". I have a couple for those days I can't fit into anything else. :) Congrats on all the weight loss, that's fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Now you need one of these!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193480.msg2038954;topicseen#msg2038954

:) Heather

Kristy said...

Heather,

That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing!