Saturday, February 02, 2008

Writer's Block?

My fans are calling. What's the purpose of having a blog if you never write in it? I am looooong overdue for a new column, as my last post was - ahem - in November. Sorry!

So, what's new? Lately, I have been recognizing that I'm feeling a little "messy." Mostly because life is busy in many different areas: work, school, house responsibilities, etc. In trying to keep up with everything I don't get to give the thorough attention to each individual area that I would like to. Instead, I feel like I'm often on the fly--half hazardly making my way through the days. That's not comfortable for me.

Instead, I need to regain some discipline in order to lessen some of the current stressers in my life. It's hard to be self-disciplined when external demands are also clammoring for attention. But, if I make steps towards better planning and organizing I think things will fall back into order as I work to create a more steady (planned!) routine.

Today I am beginning my day of self-discipline by updating my blog! [enter faint cheers from the peanut gallery] Then I am going to spend some time this afternoon studying for my Cataloging class. If I am really productive I will also have some time to look at starting my final project for the Workshop on Bibliographic Instruction that I took last weekend up at the Kent State main campus. It was a great workshop that provided me with lots of helpful resources and references for how to approach Library Instruction--something about which I was very interested in learning.

Of course, it's important to reward one's self for effectively engaging in self-discipline, so there will probably also be some gaming at some point today--whether it's Jolin's new Wii or the Playstation 3 that we got in celebration of my birthday earlier this month, both are sure to inspire productivity towards earning a study break!

No comments: