Wednesday, December 07, 2011

The Next Thing

Last Saturday night, as I was getting ready to go out for the evening, I was breezing through the kitchen when the words of my mind suddenly declared, "I'm ready for the next thing."  It was a joyful and assured declaration.  But still I had to laugh and shake my head.  "Oh, Kristy...you know you failed once again to include an appropriate modifier in your statement," I smiled, with a twinkle in my eye.  Now I'm leaving it wide-open!  Is it going to be a good thing or a bad thing?  But then I realized, in a way, that it didn't really matter.  I was ready for the next "Thing", with a capital T, no matter what it was.  Not that I wished for anything negative, of course, but I was aware that I felt completely armed for whatever it would be that came next. 

When you are in a place where you are ready to be able to embrace engaging the next Thing, regardless of where it falls on the positive or negative end of the spectrum of life events and experiences, I think you're standing on some pretty good, solid ground.  Your core is balanced.  Life feels pretty substantial.

I believe it was that bold statement of intention--saying "I'm ready"--that is leading to new pathways being opened in my life.  Signs suggest that the next Thing, whatever it may be, is going to be a positive thing. Truthfully, there have been a lot of good things unfolding in my life recently.  So many good things that I find myself, at times, so profoundly moved by gratitude that I can hardly bear it.  Even the gratitude itself feels like a gift. 

A lot of hard, hard work is finally paying off.  It's gratifying, humbling, enlivening, and inspiring. 

Today the words of the following hymn were on my heart.  I think I've learned firsthand what they truly mean.

"No storm can shake my inmost calm;
...How can I keep from singing?"

There is a light, a spark, a peace deep inside me that is untouchable by anything but love and grace....and that's why I can't ever stop singing. 

No comments: