Monday, November 05, 2007

Soundtrack of My Life

I was talking to a friend this afternoon and she shared a brilliant idea for a self-reflective project: creating a soundtrack of your life. She, herself, has started a soundtrack, and although it is a work in progress as hopefully she has many years left, she is up to the 4th CD in her multi-volume set. Complete with liner notes! I am fascinated, impressed, and inspired by this idea of a particular artistic expression of oneself.

What would your Soundtrack sound like? What songs would you include in your collection if you reflected back on the earliest days of your life and spent time thinking about the people, the places, the events, and the imaginations through the years, that have helped give shape to who you are today? Perhaps there are songs that are already tied to a special moment in your life. Or, perhaps in your reflections you will become inspired by a song that would perfectly illustrate what you were going through at a particular time. Or, perhaps there are songs that have no meaning whatsoever other than the fact that you like them and they inspire you to dance.

One of the first songs I will include in my Soundtrack will have to be something by the Osmonds. When I was little we listened frequently to The Osmonds Greatest Hits--one of the earliest cassette tapes we ever owned. In particular I remember a time when we listened to it over and over again until my parents finally cut us off--after a 15 hour car trip from Eugene to Southern California, EVERYONE reaches their limits! Good thing we were almost to Grandma's house...

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Ooooh! Ooooh! Which will it be....? One Bad Apple? Or what about Crazy Horses... Reer...Reer?!

Cindy said...

As the cool older sister with the massive tape collection you obviously knew sooooo much more about music than us younger kids. Tapes from your collection that I would put in your soundtrack would definitely include songs from Bruce Springsteen, Heart, Wham, and Cyndi Lauper.

Hahaha. I just had a memory of us all hanging out in the camper in the front yard - you and Jenny Franklin, me and Courtney, and Terri and Anna. We were listening to George Michael's "I Want Your Sex," and Courtney was laying on the ground covering her ears because she wasn't allowed to listen to such filth. Memories!

Now I wish I had a soundtrack with some of those memorable songs! Hmmmm.... possible birthday present for someone turning 30 soon?????