Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Butter Rum Lifesavers...

...remind me of my mom.


Last week one of my volunteers at work brought in a stash of lifesavers of all different flavors--the giant quarter-sized lifesavers, each wrapped individually. I sampled a couple of the flavors--naturally gravitating towards the purplish ones (various forms of berry flavors). Then Joy brought to my attention a golden brown one and I immediately reached for it. "Butter Rum!" I exclaimed. "This reminds me of my mom!" When I opened the wrapper and placed the lifesaver in my mouth, immediately the flavor on my tongue summoned happy memories from my childhood. I remember Mom often carrying a roll of butter rum lifesavers in her purse. Funny how a little round piece of candy in a cylindrical wrapper can be such an amazing and tantalizing treat--I'm sure a roll didn't last very long, having to share it with 3 little kids!

It's fascinating how many memories can be tied to any one of our senses: smell, taste, touch, sound, and sight.

15 comments:

Cindy said...

You're right! That does remind me of mom. It makes me want to run out and buy a pack!

Kristy said...

And don't forget the Werther's to remind you of Papa!

Cindy said...

Remember getting Butterhorns at Dagwood's Deli with Papa?

Kristy said...

Oh yeah!!! With RC cola!!

CV said...

You girls are so cute! Makes me wish that I had a sibling that I had grown up with! :)

Terri said...

As I read this post, I could TASTE that butter rum lifesaver and had the same memories of digging through mom's purse for the roll!

mmm, butterhorns . . . With Jack Heater, remember?

Cindy said...

Camille, you have a sister!

Cindy said...

And also, at Dagwood, do you remember how we used to scrunch up the straw rappers and then get them wet so they would grow and riggle like worms?

Kristy said...

Hee hee....I do remember the straw WRAPPER magic. When you say straw RAPPERS, I am picturing animated straws rhymin' to a hip-hop beat!

"We like to go to dagwoods to eat a butterhorn...
We go there with our Papa, on a coffee break mid-morn..."

I also remember the sit down pac-man video game--shaped like a table. And buying little chiclets from the gumball machine--the green ones were my favorite.

Terri said...

Now I get to make straw worms for Amber!

Cindy said...

Awwwww. *heart tugs* Can we make straw worms for Amber when I'm home?! Can we?! Can we?!

CV said...

Cindy, I loved the "Dead Fish" story that you told last night! :)

I do have a sister, she's just SO much younger - we are a decade apart which leads to very different life experiences.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kristy! I let nostalgia guide my grocery shopping the other night. They had a sale on Kahiki spring rolls (yes, that Kahiki). Okay, so it's not like green Chiclets when you were five, but it's still nostalgia, right? :)
Heather

carolyn said...

Wow. I hope Cindy brings the butter rum lifesavors. I don't think I have had one since you were all still at home. And what were you all doing in my purse. Aha!
This was fun reading what you all had to say and it looks like I missed a lot at Dagwoods.

carolyn said...

Amber liked the straw worms Cindy did for her when she was here. Stopped a crying spell.