Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Love Letter...To My Parents

I just finished writing a love letter.

It's a love letter to my parents, actually. A few weeks ago I encountered a card while browsing at the mall that aptly captured in words a summation of many thoughts I'd been piecing together in my my own mind and heart in recent months. I knew immediately that I wanted to send them the card, after adding to it my own personalized words.

All too often we don't take the time to share with people what they really mean to us and how much their presence in our lives has effected us. I didn't want this to be another time in which "the good stuff" just slipped on by. Sure, my parents know I love them, but it's not every day I take the time to write them a love letter. They deserve the opportunity to hear how much their love for me has shaped me.

And, I want to include the letter here, because they also deserve the recognition and honor for what they've taught me. I will have to wait to publish this posting after they've received the "hard copy"...but I'll copy the words now, before I send them on their way through the mail.


Dear Mom & Papa,

A few months ago I began reflecting on relationships and love--and in particular I decided to focus on what I understood/knew of God's love, thinking that would help illuminate and define what I wanted "love" to look like in other areas of my life.


Interestingly enough, it didn't take me long to figure out that everything I know about God's unconditional love and grace and faithfulness came from the both of you. Not only by what you introduced me to in church, itself, but perhaps more importantly by what you taught me at an even more basic level, through what you modeled to us at home: the simple, unshakable truth of your love for each other and for each of us kids.


I can still hear one of Papa's favorite refrains, "Don't tell me; show me." You were right--actions do speak louder and more deeply than words. I know what love is not because you said, "I love you," enough times, but because no matter what the circumstance you've always treated me like I was loved.


And so, in my experience, love is never something to be questioned--it just
is. It's not something that is earned; therefore, it is also something that can't ever be "un-earned," or lost due to any "failed" expectations. It exists apart from me, yet completely envelopes me. I was born into it and I will one day die in it, no matter whether or not you've already gone on before me. And, something in me believes it will still exist even after we're all gone. I'm not sure what happens to it then, but I hope it will be recycled and reused.

This morning in church we heard the following verses from Romans, and I both know what the words mean and believe in their promise because of you:


"Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? ... I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:35, 38-39)


Love is permanent, no matter what ups and downs life brings. Sometimes love is all you can count on.

I know that being a parent is hard, often under-appreciated work--but you both did a fine job because you understood and believed in all the simple, most fundamental things.


It occurred to me earlier this year that even if I never have kids of my own, I will still be blessed to love with a mother's kind of love--because that's what my heart learned from an early age. I don't think you could have given me any gift more precious than that.


Anyway, I saw this card and I wanted to send it to you. But, really there are no "ifs" about it: I
do know what love is because of the both of you.

And I love you, too.


Love,

Kristy

P.S. I hope you got that "thank you" was implied! :)

No comments: