Sunday, July 03, 2011

Moving Mountains

I am on a welcome and much-needed retreat right now. My soul was in serious of need of replenishment, and God provided for my needs, once again, at just the right moment in time. I'm enjoying a quiet, long holiday weekend in Bellingham, house- and dog-sitting for my sister and brother-in-law while they are visiting friends in Portland. Of course, I would love to be in Portland, right now, too, but my soul was much more need of this quiet escape from all the crazy, intense, busy-ness that life has brought me as of late.

I don't mean to suggest that everything going on in my life right now is less-than-positive. In fact, there are many things going on that are quite positive. Monumental even. Life-altering in positive ways. But, even that takes its toll after a while. I am all for personal growth. One of my favorite pastimes, actually. Still, I was querying God a few days ago: "What's wrong with slow, continuous growth? Why does it have to happen so frequently in seismic shifts??!" But, in reality, I'm not actually complaining. I can appreciate the seismic shifts--they are actually quite awesome to behold. Just a bit exhausting at times!

During my drive up to Bellingham on Friday evening, I was flipping through the local radio stations as I neared my destination. A song came on the radio that spoke to me instantly. It sounded a little country-ish (not something I tend to listen to very often), and initially I thought perhaps it was the Dixie Chicks. I was actually quite surprised after the song ended and the DJ clarified it had been Miley Cyrus. (So THAT'S what Miley sounds like!) For some reason I then felt a little silly to be moved by a Miley Cyrus song...but I'll never be ashamed to own up to anything that moves me. The song was "The Climb." The mountain imagery really resonates with me and what I think life is all about. Here are some of the lyrics:

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
...
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb


It is all about the climb, baby. If there were no mountains worth climbing, life would be boring. I lived in Ohio for 11 years--I know what flat looks like! I also recognize there is an undying spark in me that will never be afraid of the mountains. And I know for a fact I am always going to want to make them move.

Faith can move mountains. I've recently seen huge mountains in my life crumble into such fine dust that their trace left behind is nearly unrecognizable. All the credit goes to God, but I still had to do the climbing and the wanting. Based on my latest experience of mountain climbing, it seems the ability to move the mountain finally comes when we reach that exact moment of faith in which we hand everything completely over to God. Surrendering our own will seems, to the naked eye, like a moment of human weakness and giving up--but really I think it is a moment of faith that represents a clear expression of our pure, inner strength.

I saw a quote the other day that said something like this: "Our strength is what remains when we've used up all our weakness." I love this quote as well, as it really resonates with the truths I cling to in my fitness journey. We pass through our weakness to get to our strength. When I am sweating and breathing heavy and working out so hard that I'm about ready to collapse, it is THEN that I am blessed to catch yet another glimpse of that part of me who is beautifully strong and passionate. She's the one who powers me through life...and steps up when it's time to face another mountain. I suppose it's my penchant for moving mountains that is causing those seismic shifts I referred to at the beginning of this post.

Here's a video I found on YouTube featuring Miley singing The Climb. I encourage you to listen to it, and think on the mountains you're facing in your own life...and about the meaning you might find in your journey if you were to embrace the fact that right now is exactly where you're being called to be (it's about the climb!) and trust that in time, this (mountain) too shall pass.

No comments: