Tuesday, November 01, 2011

An Epiphany for Today

Today, just like any other day, I was walking to lunch, listening to music through my headphones.

 
Walking, breathing, connecting with the music and the lyrics, listening to an inner dialogue beginning to transpire.  I feel another epiphany coming on!

The music puts a rhythm in the steps of my stroll, and I look up to see a few golden leaves falling like feathers from the trees, littering the sidewalk with a beautiful yellow carpet of autumn shining brightly in the sunshine. 


"Today is the best day of my life," I note. Simple thoughts often create the most profound moments for me.

There's nothing outrageously unique about the day that makes it so. Yet, still I have faith that I've touched onto some important kernel of truth.

"Why?" I ask as I'm rounding the corner at the end of the block  "What is it about today that makes it the best day?" Even as I ask the question I'm aware that tomorrow will be an even better day, yet.  How is it that I know this?  What is this truth I'm experiencing in this very moment?

And as I look up at another beautiful tree beaming brilliantly in yellows, golds and reds, I feel a swell of emotion as the epiphany breaks in at that exact moment, touching my soul with its light.

"Today is the best day of my life because I am not living in the past, and I am not living in the future.  I'm living in the here and now in this present moment.  And this is the Life!"

I smile, nodding.  This is the life. 

I believe this is why I've been feeling a new sense of fullness to my days.  As I let go of the ways I want to cling to the past or grasp at my future I become more free to live more fully in the present and engage the here and now in more ways than I've previously allowed myself to do.

When you think about it, the NOW is really the only thing we have at each and every given moment.  Beginning to grasp the implications of this has added a whole new dimension to the way I am experiencing life. 

I encourage you to make today the best day of your life, too.  The truth is, you can't really MAKE it happen...you just need to open yourself up to receiving it.

As it turns out, as my day went on, several things occurred at work that would have otherwise made it a stressful day.  Instead, I felt relieved that I had already declared it the best day of my life; as this freed me from having to "take on" the weight of the stress at an emotional level.  How could I be stressed if it was the best day of my life?  Those things just don't go together.  And, if I am going to have to pick one or the other, why would I pick the stress??  I believe this is something of what living with intention is all about.

No comments: