Thursday, June 21, 2007

Conflict leads to growth

Another insightful concept one of the speakers shared at my Library 2.0 seminar was that of "optimal fragmentation." Brian Mathews was referring to group dynamics when he articulated the idea that optimal fragmentation results in conflict that leads to growth. I thought this was a very insightful perception. Differences in ideas, opinions, and insights, have the potential to spark and inspire new thoughts and ideas--particularly if we can learn to listen to one another and VALUE such differences. In this sense, conflict can be constructive. It leads to dialogue.

I think "truth" is a concept that in many cases is continually forming or unfolding--it's essence may remain the same but we continually see it reincarnated and rearticulated in new ways. Actually, maybe instead of truth, I mean "meaning." I think many people--me included!--would be more comfortable saying that the meaning we ascribe to things can be ever-changing, even though the essence of truth remains constant. When we willingly place ourselves in settings in which we are faced with differing viewpoints, ideologies, beliefs, or opinions...we increase our capacity to learn, to be challenged, to challenge others, and ultimately to grow.

Click here for the original source of this image
(permission to use granted by Creative Commons license).

Picture a kaleidoscope with hundreds of tiny fragments of colors--gently turn the wheel and the same pieces dance into a new formation. How many different colorful patterned arrangements are possible? The possibilities seem limitless! If we close ourselves off to the social dynamics of "optimal fragmentation" we miss the beatiful arrays of colors awaiting on the horizon of our consciousness. Instead we are left with a stagnant view of the world, however picturesque such an image may be. My friend, Cheryl, makes kaleidoscopes with stained glass and beads and she gave me a beautiful purple one last year for Christmas. I will think of things in a new light the next time I look through it, gently turn the wheel, and watch the colors dance before my eyes.

No comments: