Monday, June 25, 2007

Meaning of/in Life

This weekend one of my friends mentioned how sometimes life seems so empty, and with that comes the nagging question, "What is the meaning of life? There's got to be more than this." And another friend echoed, "I have those same thoughts every day!" Now, hopefully the "every day" was at least a bit of an exaggeration, but still...these comments gave my introverted self something to reflect on.

What is the meaning of life? I think, perhaps, a better question might address where we find meaning IN life. The first question suggests there is one definitive plan or agenda that explains why we are here or what life is meant to be about. I don't think there is one--single--meaning to life, but rather some underlying truths that help us to attribute meaning to our lives and experiences.

In spite of life's hardships, I am happy to be alive--to experience life in all its rich dimensions. I know that I am loved--by family, by friends, by God. We may dream, from time to time, of an easy life where we have enough free time, enough money and enough happiness to be fully satisfied, but I think as appealing as the image may be it is only a mirage. A life without challenges can have no celebrations. A person who never experiences sadness or heartache can never experience true joy or unconditional love.

Sometimes there are situations in our lives that wear us down. We become weary. But even in these times we must find little things to celebrate and to be thankful for. For those who think, "there's got to be more," I wonder what you are missing in the here and the now. What is it that you are searching for? Where do you find meaning in life? Where do you find joy? What causes you sorrow? What brings you contentment and peace? (Note that the peace component is particularly important, as I believe there are many times when we THINK we are content, but in actuality we are not.)

I would love to hear some of your responses!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Obviously, I find meaning, peace, and joy in the usuals - Love, Family, Relationships, Faith in God. But on the days where I struggle or think that life is not as complete as it should be, I have only to look at my two little wiener dogs. When I am struggling with sorrow or discontentment, and I come home to my little pups whose tails are wagging a mile a minute and they are so happy to see me, it reminds me that life and joy are simple things and that sometimes we make them too complex. All Cordy and Seumas care about is eating, sleeping, playing, and receiving and giving love. The moment I come home they attack me with kisses and are so happy to see me they act as if it has been days or weeks instead of minutes our hours since we last played together. Dogs do not hold on to memories of painful pasts and buried wounds. They demonstrate what it means to truly live life to its fullest in the moment with unrestrained affection. And ... they make me laugh. It is hard to be sad around wiener dogs.

Kristy said...

"It is hard to be sad around wiener dogs." I like that quote! I also like the way you articulated your thoughts about how dogs remind us that life, love, and joy really can be very simple things. I find the most meaningful moments in my life have been the very simple things. Not the "fireworks" moments, but the quiet, intimate moments--a mother's hug, a heart-to-heart conversation with a friend, or a partner's caress...just to name a few. These are the things that help keep me afloat when life gets too demanding, overwhelming or stressful.