Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Dancing Spirit

On Wednesday, May 19, 2010, I posted my status on Facebook:

It's Wednesday already....which brings us that much closer to Saturday. And we all know what Saturdays are for: DANCING!!! =oD

To which my aunt later responded, "You have to be your grandmother all over again!!!!" For those who didn't know her, my Grandma Messler danced into her 80's....up until the last few months of her life. I was instantly quite moved by my aunt's comment and responded, "Wow, I was just thinking of her the other day. I am deeply touched...that's one of the best compliments I have received in my lifetime...it brings tears to my eyes! If I can succeed in being even a fraction of the woman she was, I will know I have lived my life well!"

This interchange sparked some fresh new introspection, and to my surprise, as I took a closer look at my then-current manifestation in the world, I began to see a lot more similarities than just the dancing. I was moved to tears to think I could be passing along the legacy of my Grandma Messler. Nothing could ever make me more proud. I still have a ways to go, but what an inspiration!

I share the following poem that I wrote in the early morning hours shortly following her death. Grandma Messler was an icon. I remember thinking how incredulous it was that she was not, in fact, going to live forever. Incomprehensible. But, in reality, she does live on--because the spirit never dies.

6AM EULOGY

Dear Grandma
Precious woman
You are love embodied
The heart of God reaching out to the world
Touching lives in remarkably simple ways
Your servanthood gives me something to aspire to
That I might someday be at least a fraction
of the woman that you are
Child of God
Blessed spirit
Beautiful creation
A profoundly silent testimony of faith
You proclaim the Gospel to all with whom you come into contact
Thank you for your gifts
Thank you for your limitless love
and your tender gestures of kindness
Thank you for you, Grandma
Thank you for you


-02/17/1999

I love you Grandma--thank you for being the best kind of role model. Thank you for being you. And THANK YOU for the awesome dancing genes!!!!

No comments: